2007年6月15日金曜日

The Reflection of Micro Teaching

This time,I taught how to use "because",with Yuichi in last ETM3 class.It was a little difficult for me,but I could enjoy teaching English.This Experience became really helpful for me in thinking to make the English class, from now onward. We thought the class by trial and error, but there are many improvements, I think.I was nervous but Yuichi and everyone helped me.I really thank him and everyone.

Now,I want to write "What we taught" and "The strengths and weaknesses of the lesson".

☆ What we taught

First, I started short conversations which use "because" and "Why". Next, I asked students a content of the conversation, and wanted to elicit answers why Yuichi Sensei couldn't eat tomato sauce.(I wanted the words "なぜなら" and "~だから" in Japanese.)

For that, we repeated a part of conversation using "because". When I got the answer from a student, I write the sentence "I can't eat tomato sauce because I don't like tomato.", and Yuichi Sensei taught how to say and practiced. I explained a meaning and how to use "because" in Japanese.

After that, we practiced how to use and read, using cards.We answered with students when we used first and second cards, and from third card, students thought "why she is happy" and answered it.

Last, we reviewed two ways how to use "because" and repeated after Yuichi Sensei.


☆ The Strengths and Weaknesses

【Strengths】
・We repeated a part of conversation which contained a important part, and get students
to have a consciousness.
・We used some picture cards, and tried to have students understand the situation more easily.
・I explained grammar,simply.

【Weaknesses】
・I wondered if it is a little difficult for some students to read the content of conversation.
⇒Because I heard a voice "difficult...". I should have spoken more slowly and louder voice.
・We used a blackboard a lot, since sentences which we used were a little long and we wanted
students understand structure of sentence.
⇒I should have thought how to use it.Writing each sentence, we took a little time, and students
could only see us.
・In practice;third card, we asked students "Why is she happy?". But it may be hard for some
students to think that and interpret the reason into English.
⇒As improvement, I thought I should have used more easier sentences, or made
handouts, gave some hints of wors, and practiced with pair.


Last, I have some questions.How should or may teachers speak Japanese in English class? ,and how can I communicate more with students in the lesson?
I want to think them from now on.

17 件のコメント:

rozen さんのコメント...

Hi☆This is rozen.My role while your class was the person who join something which teachers asked us to do.
I thought the dialog was very unique and had a nice way of the input.(not input but discover the today's topic?)If you had repeated a lot,this was more understandable,I think.

You can do the micro teaching under 10minuts so this was so good.
Thank you☆

pizza さんのコメント...

Hello, Satona! This is Pizza.
I think your dialogue were a little difficult and long for students, so you need more gestures or pictures to make dialogue more comprehensible. But I think the content of the dialogue was interesting because it was practical. And to help students with making sentense answering the question "why the girl is happy?", it would be better to give students some wordlists. And your pictures were cute, so students will enjoy learning English.
Thank you for your teaching!

Emiko さんのコメント...

Hello!!
Your class was easy to understand for all of the students. I like your class very much!! Especially, your example sentence was very good, I think. The example sentense was easy to understand for students who are poor at English. And, explanation of grammar was very good. Because the explanation was very simple, so students could understand easily!!
Thank you for your teaching!!
Emiko

Misato さんのコメント...

Hi Ayana! This is Misato.
I enjoyed your class very much!
It was easy to understand target sentence, because you used short story. I could image outline of the story. So I could learn about "Because" very naturally.
Also I think it is important to communicate more with students, because it may become chance they have confidence in their ability of English. I think I want to give them the chances.
Anyway, thank you for your teaching! Good job☆

Manning さんのコメント...

Hi!
Your teaching was very good.It was smooth, so I could understand it.
You made some spelling mistakes.But good job.
Manning

kanage さんのコメント...

Hi!Satona☆This is Kanage.
Thank you for your micro teaching.
I think that your explanation,
examples,and pictures was easy to understand for students.It was so good for students to understand.
If you had wrote the sentences big on the blackboad, students could
understand the topic more clearly.
Your teaching was so useful for me.
Thanks♪

Naojin さんのコメント...

Hi Satona, this is Naojin.
During your class, I would never raise my hand and say anything by my self because of my role. You named students who sat in the back of class room, and iy was a good for this kind of students. Your pictures were good and helped students understand the meaning. I think you could have used blackboard better. I enjoyed your class, thank you and Good job!

satomin さんのコメント...

Hi Satona! your teaching is very simple and clear, so it was easy for me to understood. I also have a question:How should teachers speak Japanese in English class. Maybe there is probrem which students's degree of English skill. I think it should be only help for children's thinking. Let's study about these things!!

Scarlet さんのコメント...

Hi. This is Scarlet.
Your lesson was really nice.

Your lesson's strong point is complihensibility of target and conversation.

mayuchan さんのコメント...

Hi,satona!
Your lesson is very helpful for students. Pictures whichi you draw are so cute that students will enjoy studying English, and your help for them also good point. Especialy, using dialog is good way to teach grammer.
But, as you wrote, we should need to practice though various example.
You did a good job! Thank you for your lesson!

karuha さんのコメント...

There were some effective devices in your teaching. For example, picture cards, simple explanations and the repetition of important phrases. You add more physical movement & examples to the last question, real students will more enjoy and interest it. Thank you for your teaching and see you tomorrow!

JH さんのコメント...

Hello Satona,
I think teachers should speak Japanese
1) to confirm that all students understand if many of them look lost.
2)to get the class moving (授業を進行させる)when it is stuck.
3)to tell students the meaning of certain words (ex. wastebasket means ゴミ箱).
The danger about using too much Japanese is that if students rely on Japanese translation too much their Enlgish will not improve. The challenge for teachers is to speak and use English that is close to the students' level.

To communicate with more students during the lesson I think you should walk around the classroom during the activities. Also, sometimes even when you are speaking to all the students sometimes is can be a good idea to walk around the classroom because it brings you closer to the students. Lastly, knowing all the students' names is very important.
Good luck!
JH

nakki さんのコメント...

Hi!This is Nakki.
You reflected your teaching very much!I agree with your reflection.You started talking at the first.Because of it students paid attention to your talking.I think many ways to show the sentence.For example,first you talk natural speed and second you talk slowly and loudly.
About third card to make sentence making handouts,giving some hints and pair work are effective ideas!
Thank you for your teaching♪

micchi さんのコメント...

Hello, SATONA!! Thank you for your micro teaching. I enjoyed it! Because your instruction was clear and slowly, it was easy for me to listen it. And you looks like be calm. So I could take your teaching with ease.
But I had a question. When you made students think why SATONA feel happy on the picture, First student answerd "she is happy because today is her birthday" in English. But answering in English is difficult, I think. Perhaps in the fact did you want to make students answer in japanese? It' better. If it is so, you should give a instruction more clearly to students.
Enyway I enjoyed your activity. Thank you!!

micchan さんのコメント...

Hello, satona☆
This is micchan!!
Thank you for good teaching.
I think you were so good combination that your lesson was smooth.
I would like to make a short sentence in simple English.
Thank you so much(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)♪

nabeso さんのコメント...

Hi satona , I am Nabeso . your micro teaching was very good . Especially your short play was good it was interesting and understandable how to use "because" . I think the grammer that includinding "because" but you teach the grammer well .

First Ambition さんのコメント...

HI☆This is First Ambition.
I think your lesson was a little difficult for junior high school students. They don't know well about English, so you use more Japanese to explain the word "because".

Thank you for your teaching.